Girl Scout Programs
2 Badge Sets – One Program!
Our Girl Scout badge workshops have been carefully aligned to the Journey activities to create a fun, hands-on programs that meld the best of both worlds. These 90-minute adventures include six badge steps from two badge activity sets and will help your girl scouts travel far along in their individual journeys.
Hours & Dates
9:30 a.m. for Brownie: It’s Your Planet-Love It! Activity Sets
11:30 a.m. for Junior: It’s Your Story – Tell It! Activity Sets
Fall 2018 Dates:
- August 25, 2018
- September 8, 2018
- September 29, 2018
- October 6, 2018
- November 3, 2018
- November 17, 2018
Pricing & Reservations
$20 per girl scout
$10 per adult chaperone
*Park admission is included in program price. Be sure to ask about current specials and packages for tours and general admission when you call to reserve.
Advanced reservations are required and can be made at 281-343-0218 ext 220 or by E-mail.
Minimum: 6 Girl Scouts per program
Maximum: 15 Girl Scout per program, open enrollment, first come, first serve!
Hands-On Workshops for Girl Scouts
Brownie: It’s Your Planet-Love It!
Become a historic hiker and explore the hiking techniques people have used from the beginning to survive and thrive!
- Learn how early pioneers mapped out their route to Texas and made their way across unexplored and wild land.
- Study historic trail signs and compare them to their modern counterparts.
- Compare historic and modern packing gear to discover what we have learned from our ancestors.
Using your senses was a matter of survival for early pioneers. Explore your inner pioneer and apply your senses in a frontier setting.
- Reading the land was an important aspect of early life. Learn how observation skills were necessary in newly settled Texas.
- Explore the sounds of the prairie and learn how a keen sense of hearing was critical for pioneer life.
- Help cook a pioneer meal using your sense of touch, taste and smell. Cooking outdoors is an exploration of the senses.
Junior: It’s Your Story – Tell It
The Victorian Social Butterfly
The Victorian era was all about the proper rules of etiquette. Come learn these old-fashioned rules which can still be applied today.
- Participate in a tea party and learn the dos and don’ts of polite conversation.
- Study Victorian dinner etiquette and try it yourself at our historic dining room.
- Show your gratitude to your host and pen a thank you note using nib pens and ink
Playing the Past
Where better to experience the Past then a living history park! Join us for an adventure in time as you experience life in different eras.
- Explore how fashions changed with a look into the different eras of historic clothing.
- Learn a 19th century traditional skill that most ladies in the era would have known.
- End the day with a bit of play, with popular games from the 1800s.
Additional Hands-On Workshops Upon Request
Cadettes: It’s Your Planet – Love It!
Working with Wood
Early Texians had to be good with their hands to build and create their households. Let us show you the classic tools and techniques which have stood the test of time.
- Discover the types of saws used in the Past. Try both a two-man saw and a hand-held saw and see why sawing was so much work.
- Get handy with a hammer and learn the proper technique for hammering in nails.
- Experiment with levels and learn how historic structures will settle and shift over time.
Seniors: It’s Your Planet – Love It!
From Cotton to Silk
Learn about how textiles were made at the very beginning. You will never take your clothing for granted again.
- Learn about the different textiles in early America.
- Learn how to card and spin cotton the old-fashioned way.
- Try your hand at early dying techniques using common household plants.
Helpful Tips Before Your Visit
- Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled program time and allow at least 90 minutes for your group to complete the workshop.
- Encourage scouts to dress comfortably for the outdoors and wear closed-toe shoes.
- Water is allowed into the Park, and we encourage you to bring lots during the hotter months.